Spoiler? Sorry, I don’t know the age limitations on spoilers. Sorry for the length, also. It’s been bugging me since I first saw it.
Every little detail in the movie seemed to have a reason or meaning behind it. Something has always bothered me.
Andrew’s story about how his mother became paralyzed always hit me for how eerily detailed and strange it was.
“It’s amazing how much of my life has been determined by a quarter-inch piece of plastic”. I don’t know why, but that quote always stuck with me.
My question is somewhat relative.
After the funeral, a woman tells Andrew that his mother, just prior to her death/maybe suicide, suddenly wanted to redecorate a bathroom in the house. ‘She had never shown an interest in anything’, but one day she just woke up and decided she wanted to do this.
Why? It seems to be an important detail, but I don’t know what it means.
At first, I thought it was a possible hint that her death was, in fact, a planned suicide. Considering that she died in the bathtub, maybe she wanted to die in a nice place that she made, and had planned it.
However, Andrew asks his father about the “downstairs” bathroom being redecorated. There were multiple bathrooms, obviously. And later in the movie, he is in the bathroom, staring at and sitting in the tub where she died. It didn’t look like the bathroom with the wallpaper/shirt design.
I also wondered if maybe the mother was on the same heavy antidepressants that Andrew was on, and she had also decided to quit taking them before her death. It would explain her suddenly showing an interest in something.
Seeing as the father was Andrew’s psychiatrist, and had prescribed lithium for his son, he probably did the same to his wife. Because he wanted “everyone to be happy again”.
Any thoughts?
Tldr; why did Andrew’s mother suddenly redecorate a bathroom prior to her death?
Submitted June 02, 2018 at 09:55AM by buttermuseum https://ift.tt/2xAhlK3





