It occured to me that a lot of such movies come to my mind, unlike those where a white male actor plays a woman / cross-dresses. I can only name one movie for the latter from memory, Jack and Jill and Ms. Doubtfire, whilst the former I can name:
- The Nutty Professor movies
- Norbit
- White Chicks
- Big Momma's movies
- the Madea movies
Maybe I am biased in this assumption from the movies I've grown up with, but looking up movies of men playing women it does seem that websites are mentioning movies with black leads more. Also I personally find it difficult to demonstrate how more prominent such movies are relative to non-crossdressing movies to each respective actor group.
Is there a progenitor to such movies? Are they delibretirely referential or derivative of one original act? The earliest example I can find of a black actor playing a women or cross dressing is Flip Wilson playing Geraldine, a reoccurring character from 1969 to 1983. Flip states that the purpose of his character was to create humor which women could relate do whilst not being put down. This does not seem to be the case with some of the listed movies though. Did it maybe come from the success of The Nutty Professor in 1996 which showed a market interest for movies on which black males portray women? But then why do people find such a weird concept so appealing?
That is, assuming that such movies are as common as I think or should just be considered a "small phenomenon". But given that it is something major, and that there are more movies out there that I have missed, should they be considered they're own genre?
Submitted June 02, 2018 at 11:37AM by tfaddy https://ift.tt/2HcnQSZ





