The older SOC gets, I think we're going to look at it like, "Wow, remember when all of these guys, (maybe) multiple time Oscar nominated actors, were in the same movie together?"
-
O'Shea Jackson Jr: I'd love to see him act more, but it's cool he's been pretty selective with his work. Was awesome as Ice Cube but was wonderful in Ingrid Goes West, memorable in the underrated Den of Thieves, and arguably outshines Rogen in Long Shot.
-
Corey Hawkins: He kind of gets forgotten as Dr. Dre, and while I think he's the weakest in the movie and of these five, he's still very good. Not much to run with in Kong: Skull Island but he didn't hurt the movie, and though I missed 24: Legacy (heard it's meh), most of what I read said he was not the problem. He's not in BlacKkKlansman for long but his impassioned speech and mannerisms paired with Lee's direction was one of the best "smaller" scenes of 2018 in my opinion. Seeing him balance Broadway with the big screen will be interesting.
-
Jason Mitchell: Yeah, he should have received a nod for Best Supporting Actor on the last 20 minutes alone. Sooo heartwrenching when he's in the hallway coughing before that walk into the studio (when that super amazing beat is in the background bumping). Forgot that he too was in Kong: Skull Island with Hawkins. Great work in Mudbound, Detroit, and one of the few bright spots in a mediocre-at-best retelling of Superfly. Maybe I should watch The Chi?
-
Lakeith Stanfield: Pretty hard to deny that for right now, he's the most popular out of this cast, right? I still can't believe that from Short Term 12 and wearing the God mask from The Purge: Anarchy (which might be the iconic mask of the series), to great supporting work in Selma, Dope, absolutely NAILING the essence and intricacies of Snoop, then being unforgettable in Get Out, awesome in Atlanta, and finally leading a movie in the bonkers Sorry to Bother You. All of these guys are versatile I believe, but Lakeith is rare in my mind, a talent who can blend in but has the natural charisma to lead a movie too. There's something just so cool about him; he totally has that "It" factor that is hard to find.
-
Aldis Hodge: He's been working for a long time since the 90's but only in the last year does it feel like he's starting to break out. As MC Ren, he had an intensity about him, but it was Hidden Figures that sold me on his versatility. He was funny as hell in What Men Want. Recently saw Brian Banks (which inspired me to make this thread) and he's done one of the best acting jobs of the year in my mind. Man, does he sell emotion and various types of pain. I'm hoping this movie truly serves as his launching pad. He's also the most physically imposing of these guys; I could see him taking a role in the MCU or DCEU or something or who knows, being an antagonist for Adonis in Creed IV.
It'll be intriguing seeing the next The biggest thing for me is that all of these guys have shown considerable range which should continue to lead to (hopeful) continued success.
Submitted August 06, 2019 at 05:20AM by mjack421 https://ift.tt/2T8xAVA





